PM Cameron to quit after UK votes to leave EU
Cameron Leave EU
he UK and the EU entered uncharted waters Friday after the country voted to leave the bloc. Shortly after the result, Prime Minister David Cameron announced his intention to resign in three months. Follow all the events on our live blog below.
- UK has become the first state ever to withdraw from the European Union, in a blow to the bloc forged in the aftermath of World War II.
- Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron announced his intention to resign in three months after the the vote. Cameron was a vocal campaigner for the ‘Remain’ camp.
- Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has stated in the wake of the vote, “Scotland sees its future as part of the EU”.
- Northern Ireland’s largest Irish nationalist party, Sinn Fein, also said the result intensified the case for a vote on whether to quit the UK.
- London, Paris and Frankfurt stock markets all open sharply lower after UK vote to leave EU.