Paris attacks ‘accomplices’ arrested in Austria

Paris Attack Terrorist Arrest

Paris Attack Terrorist Arrest

France on Friday filed terror charges against two suspected members of the same Islamic State (IS) group cell that massacred 130 people in Paris last November, a judicial source told AFP.

The 29-year-old Algerian Adel H. and the 35-year-old Pakistani Mohamad U. were charged with “criminal conspiracy with terrorists”, the source said of the men turned over earlier Friday by Austrian authorities.

Investigators believe they travelled to the Greek island of Leros on October 3 on the same boat full of refugees as two of the men who took part in the November 13 attacks.

Those two, thought to be Iraqis, blew themselves up outside the Stade de France stadium, one of a series of brazen assaults by around 10 people around the French capital.

But Adel H. and Mohamad U. were held up, detained by Greek authorities for 25 days because they had fake Syrian passports.

Once let go, they followed the main migrant trail and made it to Salzburg in western Austria at the end of November — after the Paris attacks.

Austrian police commandos then arrested them in December at a migrant centre a few hours after French authorities informed them the men could be in the country.

After his arrest, Adel H. told investigators that he wanted to go to France to “carry out a mission”, according to a statement seen by AFP.

A source close to the investigation said that Adel H. “was meant to take part in the Paris killings with his travelling companions”.

After France filed a European arrest warrant, a court in Salzburg approved at the beginning of July the transfer of the two men to France.

Prosecutors said on Friday that both have now “left the country”.

Mohamad U. is reportedly thought to be a bomb maker for Pakistani extremist organisations includingLashkar-e-Taiba.

India holds Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), allegedly linked to al Qaeda, responsible for attacks in 2008 in Mumbai that killed 166 people.

Mohamad U. unsuccessfully appealed against his transfer from Austria, saying he would not get a fair trial in France and that he feared for his safety.

Salzburg prosecutors added Friday that two more men, a Moroccan and an Algerian arrested eight days after the others, remained in custody.

In December prosecutors had said that the men, aged 25 and 40 at the time, were being held “because of indications of close contact” with the two now transferred to France.