Strong Trump showing puts US election on a knife edge
The race for the White House is shaping up to be closer than expected as Donald Trump challenges Hillary Clinton in a number of battleground states. Follow all the results of this dramatic election in real time on FRANCE 24’s live blog.
- Former Democratic senator and one-time secretary of state Hillary Clinton, 69, is bidding to become the first woman elected to the White House.
- Challenging her for the presidency is billionaire real estate tycoon and former reality TV star Donald Trump, 70.
- More than 240 million Americans are eligible to vote, although turnout in 2012 was just 129 million, according to Pew Research. However, a record 46 million have cast their ballots in early voting.
- Most polls show Clinton with a slight edge, although in some forecasts her lead falls within the margin of error.
- Results are in from a number of states but, so far, key battlegrounds states such as Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania have yet to have been called.
- However, partial figures show Trump and Clinton neck-and-neck in Florida and challenging her in a number of other key states.